It seems that our class, and I assume many other students, get a little hung up on Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism. I believe that the interpretation of this view point is all based on context. People may not blame Jean Valjean for the self-serving act of stealing bread because other events seem to justify him, but put a nameless thug in a back alley stealing a purse and he is the subject hate. These two events by themselves are very similar, but it is people's previous knowledge and bias that allows them to choose which is right and which is wrong.
It is because of this that we supported a central theme in Objectivism, selfishness, when it was displayed in The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Edna is driven to do things solely because they are what she wants, and it seems honorable because she needs to be her own person, away from her husband and away from Robert. If it was another woman who had made these choices, one who had not been the subject of the novella, it may be harder to justify her actions.
I think that with the promotion of selfishness in Objectivism and Edna's actions a lot can be learned and applied to my life. I walk through the day with people constantly asking things of me, whether it be subtle or obvious. It doesn't bother me, but I've learned that I have to do things for myself every now and again or else I would go insane. I think it is important for teens to remember this, especially with all the pressure of college applications.
To some people this may seem harsh or obscene, but think of it this way: If you go around pleasing everyone but yourself, then where has your identity gone? This isn't meant to say that it is bad to be philanthropic and joyful however. I am merely saying that it can be healthy and refreshing to be a little selfish every once in a while.
Good blog Wes. I think you've got it. :-)
ReplyDelete