While reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, I became interested in the dialogue between the characters. I found Lord Henry's whimsical and paradoxical conversations particularly interesting. When these characters talked to each other, they were participating in an enjoyable social activity, not the chore that some people make it seem like today.
Because of this I have become concerned with conversation today. With texting and Facebook, there is no longer that connection is established when talking face to face. Even though talking face to face still holds the vast majority, I feel that the short and stunted conversations people have take away from relationships. When talking to someone in person, it is easy to gauge their feelings from their responses and start to get a feel for the person. But when you talk to someone online, they may have a completely different personality.
In my life I have caught myself reading a text with a winky face and wondering, "Oh yikes, does she like me?" The emotions in texts are near impossible to pick up on. While when I have a conversation with someone in person, I can usually notice whatever feelings they are trying to convey.
The issue I am presenting is the slow decline of in depth conversations. Facebook is great, and texting is convenient, but it cannot hold up to real human interaction. Every thing that is worded badly or not thought out it is said it important because it is unique. Conversation becomes too tailored when it is solely through letters on a screen.
Nice blog Wes!
ReplyDelete