Fate is an interesting concept that brings a certain sense of helplessness with it. As exemplified by the activity we did on the board in class, people have varying opinions on the matter. Some people believe that whatever happens is for a greater purpose and there is no way of avoiding what was meant to happen. Others believe that each choice in life is a chain reaction leading to many other choices and outcomes. Many people also fall in between this spectrum of views.
I personally believe that in general every person can control their fate. If you have wanted to be something for all of your life and suddenly change that idea it is not because it was meant to be, but because you chose it to be. Humans are too unpredictable for there to be a governing force overseeing all of out actions.
An example from my life is that I chose to save this homework until Halloween. It was not meant to be that I procrastinate on my homework, and any resulting "fateful" experiences from this are only coincidence. Sometimes trying to find a greater meaning in things is looking too far into something that without the context of fate would be easy to understand.
This all means that I disagree with the point of view presented in Oedipus The King. The story serves to teach people that you can not escape your fate, while I firmly believe that there is no such thing as fate. It is interesting to think how this theme would have been essential in the time period it was made, but now it is contrary to modern views.
Good Wes! :-). For your next blog, develop your societal connection a bit more clearly.
ReplyDelete